Disaster Preparedness Tips from Coast Community Radio: Recommended Now
- Make a family plan
- Check home for hazards
- Record possessions for insurance
- Install/test smoke detectors
- Tie bookshelves and water heater to wall studs
- Secure storage for important records
- Locate utility shutoffs, have wrenches handy
The Family Disaster Supplies List
Tip: Build it up week by week…
- Week 1 Grocery Store – 1 gal. water, 1 jar peanut butter, 1 lg. can juice, 1 can meat, manual can opener, instant coffee, tea, powdered soft drink, permanent marker, additional gallon of water per pet.
- Week 2 Hardware Store – crescent wrench, heavy rope, duct tape, 2 flashlights and batteries, ‘bungee’ cords.
- Week 3 Grocery Store – 1 gallon water, 1 can fruit, 1 can meat, sanitary napkins, extra gallon of water per pet.
- Week 4 Hardware Store – plumber’s tape, crowbar, smoke detector and battery.