Date(s) - June 23, 2017 - June 25, 2017
Cannon Beach has been named “One of the Most Beautiful Places in the World” by National Geographic and “One of the 100 Best Art Towns in America.”* So, it’s not a surprise that this spectacular natural beauty has beckoned artists from around the world to capture it “en plein air” or “in the open air.” To celebrate this challenging artistic style, the Cannon Beach Gallery Group is presenting their 9th Annual Plein Air & More Arts Festival. Scheduled for June 23-25 the event will feature more than 30 artists represented by Cannon Beach’s art galleries.
Many will be painting. But, as you wander through town, along the beach and through the galleries, you’ll also find sculptors working on stone, creating the clay forms that will eventually be cast in bronze, jewelers, ceramic artists (complete with a kiln on the beach), glass blowers and print makers.
The artists can be found near their representing galleries or in one of five locations: Whale Park, the courtyard between Spruce and Hemlock Streets, the Coaster Theatre Courtyard, Washington St. at Ocean and Harrison Street at Ocean. They will also all come together for an “Artists’ Swarm” from 2-4 p.m. on Saturday in the Coaster Theatre Courtyard. This will be a great opportunity for everyone to see them all at work. Leading up to this event will be a 2-hour courtyard concert by the Boka Marimba Band, sponsored by Pelican Brewing Company and Hallmark Inns.
A “Creative Play Space for Children,” encouraging them to explore their own budding talents will be located in the US Bank parking lot.
And back by popular demand is the Saturday evening raku firing on the beach at Whale Park with Dave and Boni Deal. This year it will also include s’mores and music by the Rogue Blue Grass Band.
Brochures will be available at all Cannon Beach Gallery Group locations and the Chamber of Commerce, and will be distributed during the day by Portland stilt walker Melissa Rae. Visitors are encouraged to ask questions of the artists while they work.
Galleries and their participating artists include:
• Archimedes Gallery: Nicole Gustafsson
• Bronze Coast Gallery: Pamela Claflin, Dan Chen, Kristina Boardman
• Cannon Beach Gallery: Christopher Perry, J. Scott Wilson, Sidone Caron, Sharon Furze
• DragonFire Gallery: Joanne Shellan, Anton Pavlenko, Michael Orwick
• Icefire Gallery: Jim Kingwell, Suzanne Kindland, Michelle Kaptur, Pamela Juett
• Imprint Gallery: Angela Purviance, Lisa Wiser, Alisa Vernon, Mark Andres
• Jeffrey Hull Gallery: Jeffrey Hull
• Jewelry By Sharon Amber: Sharon Amber, Steven Amber-Voorheis
• Northwest By Northwest Gallery: Jeff White, Ivan McLean, Tolley Marney, Cristina Acosta, Hazel Schlesinger
• White Bird Gallery: Gretha Lindwood, Dave and Boni Deal, Robert Schlegel, Bev Drew Kindley, Josh Henrie